Welcome, introduction & course aims
Hi All and welcome to the Marine Mammal Observer Classroom course.
Once you have booked your preferred date for the classroom facilitated course you will be given access to the online test modules.
Please contact us to ensure that you book yourself on the correct course.
Module tests are taken online to standardise our auditing facility and comply with ISO 9001 and ISO Environmental Standards (paperless).
Please take your time to read through your notes and books, all tests are open book (allowing you to read through your notes and use referenced books).
ONLY take the tests of the modules you have been taught each day, you will get only ONE chance to take the test and they require 100% pass rate to comply with our company’s qualification standards.
The tests are grouped into the training days you receive for the private classroom based MMO course (please note depending on your course these days can differ, ensure you only answer the tests you are asked to otherwise you will be deducted marks and once in the system we cannot reverse).
Each test will instantly grade you for that module after you have clicked the submitted button, the questions are randomized so each student will get a different selection of questions.
If you have any issues please speak to your facilitator.
These are open book tests, so use your personal notes, course handbook and any other reference materials to assist you with completing the tests.
When asked to upload files please remember file size is limited, you will be required to submit photographed copies of data sheets and upload excel workbooks, so please ensure you have the right equipment with you to do so.
Please note, we can not solve any issues that you have with your own personal computers/Laptops/tablets.
- Android phones and iphones will not work with this course as the training material images will be too small to view
- At the end of each session/day you MUST log out, and log back in at the start of each day, your login times are recorded on the system and the times are added to your overall competence
- You Must click only ONCE on the green complete quiz button, if you click more than once numerous quizzes will be sent to the system and only one is marked, therefore the system will lock you out until all quizzes have been reviewed
- If you fail the Quiz you can retake again, but you MUST click on the Red Reset Quiz button before you can take the Quiz again
- Your online course MUST be taken by you, we will randomly call the student to ensure of the identity, if it is found that someone else is taking the course your certificate will be voided
Interaction history of sound and effects on marine mammals
Introduction to law & guidelines & legal role of an MMO worldwide A unit
- MMO3A – JNCC – Terminology, Legal Responsibility , Reporting and the Role of an MMO-one day Upgrade new – FC
- MMO3B – Duties of the MMO – SoS – FC
- MMO3Cc – JNCC – Planning Around Sensitive Marine Areas – One Day Upgrade Course – FC
- MMO3C – Marine Mammal Detection and Real-Time Mitigation – SoS – FC
- MMO3D – JNCC – Introduction to the Guidelines for Operational Procedures – SoS – FC
- MMO3E – JNCC – Operational Procedures (Ramp Up-SS-FP) – SoS – FC
- MMO3F – JNCC Guidelines – Explosives and Acoustic Deterrent Devices – One Day Upgrade Course – FC
- MMO3G – JNCC regulations and how Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) is mitigated – One Day Upgrade Course – FC
- MMO3H – R – JNCC Guidelines – Piling and Acoustic Deterrent Devices – FC
- MMO3 – JNCC UK – FC
Introduction to marine mammals & physiology
- MMO4A – Introduction to Marine Mammal Classification – SoS – FC
- MMO4B – Mysticetes – Rorquals, Balaenidae, Neobalaenidae and Eschrichtiidae – SoS – FC
- MMO4C – Odontocetes – SoS – FC
- MMO4D – Pinnipeds – SoS – FC
- MMO4E – Sirenians and Fissipeds – SoS – FC
- MMO4F – Locomotion and Diving – SoS – FC
- MMO4G – Foraging and Migration – SoS – FC
- MMO4H – Communication SoS – FC
- MMO4 – Physiology Test – FC
Marine mammal behaviours – introduction
Monitoring methods & techniques
- MMO6 – Introduction Monitoring Methods – SoS – FC
- MMO6A – Monitoring Methods – Tools – SoS – FC
- MMO6B – Estimating Distance – Bearing and GPS – SoS – FC
- MMO6C – Monitoring – Occupational Health and Safety for the MMO – SoS – FC
- MMO6D – Preparation of MMO for Field Observation – SoS – FC
- MMO6E – What cues to look for and units of measure for weather data – SoS – FC
- MMO6 – Monitoring Methods Test- FC
- MMO6 – SOL Mathematics – FC
Introduction to species’ identification
Observation and data control reporting systems
Animal ID quiz and data collection
Video test (mock practical) and data collection
BOSIET, MIST & offshore requirements
In order to complete your training you are required to be assessed in person with additional training to be provided.